I am Senior Editor at the Institute for Social and Preventive Medicine at the University of Bern, where I edit scientific and medical papers. As a freelancer, I edit academic articles and books in the social sciences and humanities, as well as the sciences, and have worked in fields ranging from legal studies, to political science, sociology, anthropology, ethnic studies and literature. I offer instruction in science and academic writing, and coach those who wish to present papers or reports in English at professional conferences or meetings.
I do edit for grammar and style, but I am primarily a content editor. I specialize in strengthening the narratives of academic papers, and can reorganize content to present ideas in a more compelling fashion. As a scientific editor, I have a clear understanding of the functions served by each section of a paper (IMRD: Introduction, Methods, Results, and Discussion), and an excellent record of assisting authors with successful submissions to high-impact journals.
From 1996-2006 I was a Professor of Humanities at The University of Arizona, Tucson, and am the author of several books and many articles for both academic and popular audiences. My academic cv is available.
Workshops: I offer writing workshops in academic settings, for researchers at the graduate and post-graduate level who publish in English. These courses are designed to improve the organization, style, and narrative power of draft manuscripts, and are appropriate for both native and non-native English speakers. Workshops can be tailored to meet the needs of scholars in the natural sciences, social sciences, or the humanities, and can include modules that address the special challenges that writing in English poses to German native speakers. In May, 2013, I’ll become an accredited teacher of the Tim Albert Method of writing scientific research papers, and will offer that course in combination with my current “Sentences for Scientists” workshop at the Institute of Social and Preventive Medicine at the University of Bern. The combined workshop will cover the entire process of drafting scientific manuscripts, from conception to submission. I offer similar concept-to-submission courses in the social sciences and the humanities. Contact me if you’d like me to tailor a course to the needs of your program, department, or institute.
Freelance Rates: Editing: 100-150 CHF per hour, depending on assignment. Advanced English skills: 100 CHF per hour. Presentation Coaching: 100 CHF per hour. Workshops: price varies, depending on course requirements. I do not accept translation work.
Native language: English. I speak German at an intermediate level, and can read German, Spanish, and Portuguese.
Related degrees: Ph.D., American Studies, Yale University, New Haven, Connecticut, 1991; B.A. American Studies, University of California at Santa Cruz, 1983.
Recent Editorial Credits:
- Althaus, C, et al. (2012) Individual and Population Level Effects of Partner Notification for Chlamydia trachomatis. (Article)
- Benedetti, D, et al. (2012) International palliative care experts’ view on phenomena indicating the last hours and days of life. (Article)
- Essig, S, et al. (2012) Follow-Up Programs for Childhood Cancer Survivors in Europe: A Questionnaire Survey. (Article)
- Essig, S, et al. (2012) Health-Related Quality of Life in Long-Term Survivors of Relapsed Childhood Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia. (Article)
- Estill, J, et al. (2012) Viral load monitoring of antiretroviral therapy, cohort viral load and HIV transmission in Southern Africa: A mathematical modelling analysis. (Article)
- Fernando, J (2011) The Political Economy of NGOs: State Formation in Sri Lanka and Bangladesh. (Book)
- Gianinazzi, ME, et al. (2013) Adolescent survivors of childhood cancer: are they vulnerable for psychological distress? (Article)
- Mean, M, et al. (2012) Design and establishment of a biobank in a multicenter prospective cohort study of elderly patients with venous thromboembolism (SWITCO65+). (Article)
- Mugglin, C, et al. (2012) Loss to programme between HIV diagnosis and initiation of antiretroviral therapy in sub-Saharan Africa: systematic review and meta-analysis. (Article)
- Panczak, R, et al. (2013) Incidence and Risk Factors of Homicide-Suicide in Swiss Households: National Cohort Study. (Article)
- Rueegg, C, et al. (2012) Physical Performance Limitations in Adolescent and Adult Survivors of Childhood Cancer and Their Siblings. (Article)
- Wettstein, Celina, et al. (2012) Missed opportunities to prevent mother-to-child-transmission: systematic review and meta-analysis. (Article)